Seven Hot Spots You Need to Try In Athens for 2017
Athens is a nothing short of a paradox. A city steeped in history and tradition with a heartbeat in the city center that literally sends her lightning pulse out into all of the surrounding neighborhoods and towns. While I may be slightly biased, I am pretty sure that not many people would disagree that Athens truly is an amazing city. From the winding streets that weave their paths through Plaka and Thissio at the foot of the Acropolis, to the lofty Northern suburbs of Kifissia, and Politeia down to the southern beach towns of Glyfada, Voula, and Vouliagmeni, Athens has something to offer for everyone. If you fancy getting out of town, you can take a 2-hour drive outside of Athens towards the mountainside town of Arachova. If you prefer a seaside escape you can drive out towards Cape Sounio. One thing is for sure though, Athens does not disappoint when it comes to nightlife, restaurants, cafe's and sheer entertainment. Check out my top picks for places to see and be seen in one of my favorite cities in the world...
1. Check Me-Kifissia This all day and night social hub is the brainchild of Vasilis Tsekouras and Mairh Kopelouzou. This new arrival to the scene in Kifissia provides a beautifully appointed, elegant and comfortable space that can accommodate all of your needs. Coffee with friends? Cocktails with the girls on a Thursday night? Dinner with your friends or your family from out of town? Check Me serves it all and does so with a stylish flair, an impeccable attention to detail and superb and creative food quality. Craft cocktails and drinks are served up in lead crystal stemware, cocktail tumblers, and high ball glasses with etched finishes. A library gallery wall lined with books gives you the feeling that you are in someone's home, making you want to linger a little longer whenever you are there. The attention to detail given to everything from the menu, to the barware, table settings and beyond is amazing. Even their silverware is on point. If you go I highly recommend trying the Fresh Burratta Salad and any one of their delicious pizzas, appetizers or main courses.
2. Pig Out-still slightly new in town, Pig Out is setting some new trends in super swanky Kifissia. The restaurant, headed up by brother duo Nikos and Takis Morfesis, is located in a gorgeous Neo-Classical building on Saint Demetrios Square in Kifissia. The grandeur of the building is offset by a cool, modern, yet casual dining experience inside. You kind of get a mix of old world charm and modern day comfort food gastronomy when you dine and drink at Pig Out. Communal tables inside and outdoors in their courtyard make it an easy spot to pick up while you are pigging out. Sunday afternoons are the best days to go if you want to be at one of the top Greek parties in the Northern suburbs. The party starts early for Greek standards so best to be there by 8pm..Pig Out's menu is eclectic and serves up unexpected twists on tried and true comfort food classics. They also have a brunch and all day menu filled with savory and sweet flavors for every palate. Mix that with a lively, super cool atmosphere, craft cocktails and fabulous wines you have got a recipe for a win every single time.
3. School Pizza Bar-this multi-level gem located on Agias Irinis Street in the heart of Monastiraki is a place that I wish I had stumbled upon much sooner. With an amazing location, even better frontage for seating outdoors, and 3 levels of restaurant space, School Pizza Bar is the place to be on Saturday afternoons. The wine, craft cocktails, and the DJ that spins their Saturday afternoon parties will have you coming back as often as you can. They are known for their thin crust pizza's and they offer tons of varieties on the menu. Their pizza's are on par with New York style thin crust pizza which is super hard to replicate let alone to find done right in Athens! School Bar's rustic charm and antiquated interior give it a warm, fun, and inviting atmosphere. Perfect to spend a Saturday with good friends, great music and good vibes.
4.Malabar Restaurant at The Margi Hotel-if you are looking for a fine dining experience in the Southern suburbs look no futher than Malabar Restaurant. Situated along the Athenian Riveria inside one my favorite boutique hotels in Athens, The Margi, Malabar is nothing short of an absolute delight. Poolside dining under the stars, exquisite menu choices and an extensive wine list all served up with white glove style service makes dining at Malabar something you don't want to miss. The menus are based on traditional Greek and Mediterranean dishes served with a contemporary flair, with organic produce and food items all sourced from The Margi Farm. The Farm is also an experience in and of itself where you can book private dining by reservation only. Dress to impress if you are dining at The Malabar at night!
5. Stinking Bishop-Located in Kolonaki, otherwise known as the "Soho" of Athens, Stinking Bishop is the place to be if you are in the mood for an elegant and chic wine bar/resto. With a heavy focus on locally sourced wines, mixed with internationally sourced cheeses, and cured meats, the owners and staff of Stinking Bishop know a thing or two about wine pairings. The atmosphere is minimal but super warm and inviting. The space has outdoor seating that is perfect for people watching in the warmer weather months. In fall and winter you can enjoy cocktails, light appetizers, wines by the glass or bottle, and just about anything else your heart desires.
6. Paliatsos-Located in Penteli, this cafe/wine bar is the perfect place to go for coffee during the day and for light snacks, appetizers and of course wine and cocktails after 5PM. The interior of Paliatsos is creative, interesting and comfortable. In the winter time you can sit by the fireplace as you enjoy your cocktail or wine of choice, or coffee if you aren't a fan of libations. During the warm weather months you can sit ouside and enjoy the sunshine. As you enter the main bar and dining area there are a few cocktail style tables with a long and inviting mosaic tiled bar flanking the left wall. Beautiful armchairs with nail head details, couches, and banquets abound in the main seating area. The tables are different hues of wood tone and the beautiful sideboards, darkly painted walls, and antique decor all give the space an eclectic and very interesting feel. Paliatsos also has live music on certain nights of the week hosting local jazz artists, swing bands, rock and roll groups, as well as DJ's on certain nights of the week. The cocktails are inventive, and the service is on point. Perfect for casual cocktails in a beautiful environment.
7. Su Casa-one of my all time favorites in the beachside town of Glyfada, Su Casa never disappoints. Situated in the heart of gorgeous Glyfada, Su Casa boasts a spectacular location and an even more spectacular space. Su Casa offers an extremely distinctive atmosphere that literally transports you to another space in time. Think rich and traditional Spanish hacienda meets elegant and modern European charm. The outdoor space is a labyrinth of tables mixed with chandeliers, warm lighting, greenery and trees that make your feel that you are sitting in a lush garden courtyard estate in the Andalusian hills. As you enter the balance of the restaurant you get a bit of a different feel. A feel of being in a luxurious but non-pretentious home. As the name indicates Su Casa strives to make you feel as if you are in your own home. They do it with ease and with a fabulous menu. Su Casa is perfect for entertaining large groups, for cocktails at the bar and for everything in between.
Live Fab, & Repeat-XO Kathy
Looking for even more options? Look no further!